Potential pl facing southampton
Middlesbrough wants Southampton thrown out of the Championship playoff final as the English Football League prepares to hold a hearing over spying allegations.
Southampton defeated Middlesbrough in the playoff semi-finals after being accused of unauthorized filming of semi-final rivals Middlesbrough training for the game.
The league has warned fans that there could be “changes” to the playoff final on May 23.
That leaves Hull, who won the other semi-final, unsure which opponent they will face in the race for a coveted spot in the Premier League.
“The conduct at issue, namely the observation and recording of our training sessions prior to an event of such importance, is at the heart of the integrity of the game and fair competition,” Middlesbrough said.
“Under these circumstances, the only appropriate response is a sporting sanction that would prevent Southampton FC from participating in the EFL Championship playoff final.” Middlesbrough “regretted” the disciplinary commission’s decision not to allow it to be part of the process and called on the English Football League to “impose strong punishment to prevent any future attempts to gain an unfair and unlawful advantage for promotion to the Premier League”. Southampton had previously said it was cooperating in the disciplinary process and had asked for more time to complete its internal review of the issue.
(Only the headline and image in this report may have been reworked by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
first published: 16 May 2026 | 12:37 pm First
